WOODY LANDSCAPE PLANTS
Use the zone information of the following to answer the questions below. Use the species number as the answer (1 through 4) number on the opscan sheet.
Species 1 zone 4a - 6b
Species 2 zone 4b - 7a
Species 3 zone 6a - 8a
Species 4 zone 6b - 8b
1. Which species is the least cold hardy?
2. Which species has the greatest heat tolerance?
3. Which species would not be suited to Blacksburg?
4. In terms of a pine's tolerance to adversity based on needle number per fascicle, which selection is correct in order of increasing tolerance (least to most)?
1. P. strobus, P. palustris, P. flexilis
2. P. wallichiana, P. bungeana, P. parviflora
3. P. mugo, P. bungeana, P. densiflora
4. P. densiflora, P. mugo, P. nigra
5. The name and location of the world class conifer collection mentioned in class is:
1. Gotlieb Collection - National Arboretum, Washington, DC
2. Gotlieb Collection - Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, PA
3. Gotelli Collection - National Arboretum, Washington, DC
4. Gotelli Collection - Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, PA
6. Spruces, firs, and hemlocks differ from pines in that they generally keep their lower branches when they get older.
7. Two morphological characteristics of needles that confer drought tolerance to conifers are:
1. surface stomates and waxy covering
2. sunken stomates and waxy covering
3. surface stomates and cylindrical form
4. sunken stomates and an increased surface area
8. When a species has both sexes on a single plant, it is called:
9. The recommended stage (time of development) to prune a pine is in the:
1. cradle stage
2. needle senescence stage
3. strobili production stage
4. strobili senescence stage
5. candle stage
10. You need pine species for a highway median in coastal NJ. Thus, species will need to be drought and salt tolerant. Which selection would work for this scenario?
1. P. strobus, P. parviflora, P. densiflora
2. P. bungeana, P. sylvestris, P. mugo
3. P. thunbergii, P. nigra, P. parviflora
4. P. thunbergii, P. wllichiana, P. strobus
11. Which one of these is NOT suitable for an alkaline soil?
1. Pinus leucodermis
2. Pinus mugo
3. Pinus nigra
4. Pinus strobus
5. Picea omorika
12. Pinus flexilis, P. mugo, and P. thunbergii are considered to be drought tolerant.
13. Of the three species of Cedrus we discussed, the most cold hardy is
14. Of the three species of Cedrus we discussed, the least cold hardy is
15. Tsuga canadensis is tolerant of:
1. shade and drought
2. drought and pruning
3. shade and pruning
4. pruning and windy locations
16. These two pines are slow-growing and have a formal conical form.
1. P. densiflora and P. cembra
2. P. heldreichii var. leucodermis and P. cembra
3. P. parviflora and P. flexilis
4. P. wallichiana and P. mugo
17. If you had to select a fir for a dry location (in Blacksburg), the best choice would be:
1. A. concolor
2. A. fraseri
Use the following cultivars (and their respective numbers) in the questions below:
1. Pinus densiflora 'Umbraculifera'
2. Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead'
3. Abies concolor 'Candicans'
4. Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula'
5. Picea abies 'Little Gem'
6. Picea orientalis 'Skylands'
7. Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Green Arrow'
8. Tsuga canadensis 'Albo Spica'
9. Thuja occidentalis 'Rheingold'
10. Thuja occidentalis 'Nigra'
18. dwarf, multistem, upright, dark foliage with prominent white buds
19. dwarf, white variegation on branch tips
20. upright, conical form with yellow foliage
21. upright, very narrow columnar form
22. spherical form with bronze winter foliage and yellow in summer
23. dwarf, upright, multistem, orange bark
24. Mites would most likely attack conifers with this characteristic:
1. yellow foliage
2. pendulous form
3. blue foliage
4. dense foliage
5. non-resinous foliage
25. Which one of these genera is NOT in the Cupressaceae family?
4. X Cupressocyparis leylandii
26. The parents of X Cupressocyparis leylandii with the correct hardiness zones are:
1. Cupressus macrocarpa (zone 7) and Chamaecyparis nootkatensis (4)
2. Cupressus macrocarpa (zone 4) and Chamaecyparis nootkatensis (7)
3. Cupressus arizonica (zone 6) and Chamaecyparis obtusa (zone 5)
4. Cupressus arizonica (zone 5) and Chamaecyparis obtusa (zone 6)
27. The disease that afflicts leyland cypress is:
28. Which statement is not necessarily true for Cupressus arizonica?
1. some cultivars are fast-growing
2. drought tolerant
3. will get at least 30' tall
4. will withstand extremes of zone 6a
5. has a high degree of seedling variability
29. Chamaecyparis thyoides differs from most conifers in that this species can tolerate:
1. wet soils
3. dry rocky soils
30. The form and size of a mature Cedrus is:
1. strictly conical and small to medium tree
2. strictly conical and large tree
3. wide spreading flat-topped small to medium tree
4. wide spreading flat-topped large tree
31. In terms of growth rate and culture, which is true for Thuja occidentalis:
1. slow; tolerates shade, drought and alkaline soil
2. slow; tolerates drought, moist/wet soil
3. fast; tolerates shade, drought and alkaline soil
4 fast; tolerates drought, moist/wet soil
32. In terms of form and growth rate, some Thuja plicata cultivars are generally considered as alternatives to leyland cypress
33. In terms of a pest problem, hemlock wooly adelgid is generally considered:
34. In terms of mature size and culture, Thuja orientalis is:
1. about 5' and not tolerant of difficult sites
2. about 5' and tolerant of difficult sites
3. about 15'+ and not tolerant of difficult sites
4. about 15+ and tolerant of difficult sites
35. Sciadopitys verticillata is a:
1. slow-growing species that tolerates an full sun location in zone 7b
2. slow-growing species but is relatively inexpensive
3. slow-growing species that is relatively expensive
4. fast-growing species but expensive
36. In terms of size and growth rate, Pinus aristata would be best suited:
1. in a large open space
2. in a relatively small area
3. as a hedge species
4. when a tight mounded plant is needed
37. Chamaecyparis lawsoniana, a northwestern U.S. species, has numerous cultivars and is quite adaptable to the heavy clay soils of the southeastern U.S.
PUT THESE ANSWERS DIRECTLY ON THIS PAGE - NOT ON OPSCAN
The internet nursery, Aesthetic Gardens, sells a sculpted Pinus virginiana 'Wates Golden' for:
Dr. Stipes labeled foreign plant disease organisms as a:
3. trojan horse
4. Bart Simpson